Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Thoughts on Love and The Fort Worth Diocese of the Episcopal Church

It's interesting the Spice of My Life insisted that she had to have firewood before winter rolled in. I argued that in the past we've not used enough to make it worthwhile to buy a rick of wood but she's more comfortable knowing that she can...well, send me out to the wood pile so she can sit by a nice toasty fire. I might be right, she concedes, that it doesn't save any money in the long run but that's not the point. We do disagree about this and over the last 30+ years we've disagreed on a lot of things. We didn't always agree on child raising techniques, certainly not on money matters, seldom on what to watch on TV, never on putting catsup on scrambled eggs (yuck.) So why are we still together? A question worth pondering in this week running up to the diocesan convention of the Fort Worth Diocese of the Episcopal Church.



Ok, I've pondered and I can't see it. Why are so many people happy to be running away from the rest of us because we don't all agree? It's really true that I am convinced that God calls women to be priests just as he calls men and that He expects us to let Him do the sorting out of who is worthy and who is not to join us at the communion table and it is my belief that love is love and it's not for me to say who you should or should not love. Do they think that my convictions, which I firmly believe but always know as a human that, I might be wrong, do they really think my brain waves will contaminate theirs? Am I and those who think like me Typhoid Marys that could infect their thinking and make them sick? I don't think so. I promise, if She Who Must and I could be happy being together, it ought to be a snap for church folks.



The point is, I don't understand but I'm quite sure that the vote at convention will pass the second resolution for the diocese as a whole to pull out, isolate themselves from germy people like me and become a part of the Province of the Southern Cone. Well, they will think of it as the diocese leaving, those of us who are not willing to go along with that will wish them well with great sadness and go about God's work here as the Diocese of Fort Worth of the Episcopal Church. We'll choose a new bishop, reorganize and get back to what we know we need to do. Will there be issues maybe law suits over buildings and property? I'm sure there will, I don't see how it could be otherwise. We think they're ours and they think they're theirs. That is the saddest thing about all this. Oh, not the property or the certainty of legal battles. No, it's the fact that we have come to the point that it's about "them" and "us." It shouldn't be that way for Christians. I can't help coming back to that 30+ years with my sweetie. If you love each other enough, it's not necessary to break up your home. That's what will happen this week and I don't see anything to do about it. I am sad.

2 comments:

Ann said...

Yeah -- I don't get it either. Prayers for FW in the coming weeks as you journey on.

Annie said...

Oh, dear! Well, hang on for the ride! I don't get it either and your words reflect my vision, perfectly.

My heart goes out to you and I will be praying for all of you--it was a brave stand Trinity took. And help will arrive . . . it will . . .